Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Book Review: Herbert Marshall, A Biography, by Scott O'Brien


Hooray! One of my favorites finally has a full-length biography: British actor Herbert Marshall (1890-1966).  Author Scott O'Brien has once again done a fabulous job with a lesser-known old Hollywood star, and those (like me!) who want to know about all there is to know about the talented, enigmatic Mr. 'Bart' Marshall should pick up a copy.  The biography was published in February of this year, and is available on Amazon, and also through the publisher's website Bear Manor Media.

[Check out my post on my favorite Marshall film performances here]

Mr. O'Brien certainly did his research. He unearthed many interviews published during Marshall's lifetime, but further, was able to talk to many of his friends and colleagues, other authors, and friends of friends, to get further insights into the real Mr. Marshall.  It should be noted that Marshall had a prolific stage career as well. O'Brien's book offers a complete list of his stage as well as screen credits. 

The book uses a chronological approach, and blends detail about his stage and film engagements with events from his personal life.  O'Brien adopts a matter-of-fact tone, and steers clear of drawing psychological inferences or embellishment.  The biography may have benefited from a bit more probing into the drive and ambition that Marshall would have mustered to overcome his disability, as well as the psychological toll over the years. The sources being ultimately limited most likely do not allow for that. 
  
When I first became a Marshall devotee a few years ago, I watched nearly all his films that could be found, and read as much as I could about him. Sadly, there wasn't much.  But I felt that I was pretty thorough in my own personal research, if frustrated with the lack of detail and contradictory reports.  So, I will admit with a modicum of pride that I was familiar with much of the detail of Marshall's life in the book.  Yet, there was much that I didn't know.  Here are just a few facts that were of particular interest to me:

War Injury:  Most classic film fans know Marshall lost a leg in World War I, and worked in Hollywood using an often painful prosthesis.  Many accounts state that he lost his *right* leg.  Thankfully, O'Brien confirms it was actually the LEFT, which is what I suspected all along after, as I mentioned, having watched nearly all of his available films. I can't explain why this is important to me, as Marshall, while not exactly hiding his injury, preferred not to talk much about it.  It's perhaps the laziness of other writers or researchers to be careless with facts that annoyed me whenever I came across this little error.  O'Brien even specifically cites author Mark Vieira as the source of this information.
1930s Hollywood glamor: Marshall with Trouble in Paradise
co-star and friend Kay Francis
Longevity:  Marshall worked his entire life, making his last film just a few months before he died at age 75.  According to O'Brien, Marshall never considered retirement.  This I find particularly interesting. It is not entirely clear if there were financial reasons, or Marshall just loved to work.  

Complicated personal life:  Having married five times and a carried on a significant relationship with Gloria Swanson during his adult life, it's natural that his personal life must have been complicated. But what I didn't know was that, according to comments by those that knew him, he was more of a ladies' man than even his documented relationships may have had you believe. His immense personal charm was a valuable asset in this regard.  That said, by all accounts, he was a generous, kind, and self-effacing person.

His connections with other stars:  Marshall was close to many in his profession. He was a lifelong friend of fellow British character actor Eric Blore. Marshall and Blore starred together in the comedy Breakfast For Two (1937), in which Blore played Marshall's valet. Barbara Stanwyck was the leading lady. It's a lesser known but still fun screwball comedy. Ronald Colman was also a close friend.  Both stars died before Marshall, and he grieved when he lost his old friends.
Eric Blore (left) and Marshall relax while making Breakfast for Two
(Picture featured in O'Brien's biography of Herbert Marshall
Love of Trouble in Paradise:  What is one of my favorite films was apparently a favorite of Marshall's as well.  This gem from 1932 is a classic Ernst Lubitsch pre-code sophisticated European comedy. 

His middle-class upbringing: To those of us on this side of the Atlantic, a British accent often connotes education and/or breeding.  Marshall had a fabulous voice and terrific use of the 'Queen's English'. He was admired his entire life for that, and for his brand of 'Britishness' and gentlemanly manner. He sometimes bristled at being labeled a 'gentleman' because in the UK he was decidedly middle-class, having been born in a family of working actors.

Marshall's life and career arc have the advantage of extending through the full first half of cinema history, on two continents. For that reason alone, the biography is a fascinating read - how one person navigated serious setbacks, cultural barriers, etc., to find consistent work in the industry until the mid-1960s. 

9 comments:

  1. Once again, another great review, this time of a book about a favorite actor. I knew some details about Herbert Marshall because of his roles in films noir. I imagine that you have seen Crack-Up, which is a favorite of mine. (I do plan to blog about it this spring.) Anyway, thank you for shedding more light on Marshall and this book about his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank very much, Marianne. Yes, I've seen Crack-Up, and it's very interesting, and has a unique tone for a noir. Marshall is quite an enigma in it and I think he does that well. I will look forward to your review!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this review! I've enjoyed some of O'Brien's past work and this looks quite interesting. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it.

    Best wishes,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Laura! I really was thrilled to see this book published. I like O’Brien’s style. I read his bio of Ann Harding but I need to check out some of the others. It makes me happy to see lesser-known but deserving stars getting their due.

      Delete
  3. Have you seen I WAS A SPY (1933) with Madeleine Carroll? The reason I ask is because I recently found all these lobby cards from the film for sale at South Congress Book Store, Austin, Texas. It looks interesting. I almost bought one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana, thanks for reading! Yes, I've seen that one. I found it interesting as it shows a European perspective on the first WW. I enjoyed Madeleine Carroll and Conrad Veidt quite a bit, but ironically I didn't think it was Marshall's best performance. I read somewhere that Victor Saville and HM didn't have the optimum director/actor collaboration. Marshall to me seemed like an actor for whom the director really made a more than average impact. For example, he really excelled under Wyler.

      Delete
  4. I plan to blog about Crack-Up next week. Would you mind if I include a link to your review in my blog post? I would give the blog title and your first name as writer of the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, perfectly fine! You can also link to this post and/or my other post about my favorite HM films. I'll look forward to your post on Crack-Up!

      Delete
  5. Just found out about this book, ordered in right away, can't wait to read it. I've seen all but four or five of his films and have a large collection of stills and lobby cards. My favorite among the lesser known titles is "The Solitaire Man".

    ReplyDelete