Search This Blog

Sunday, August 4, 2024

My 5 favorite Powell & Pressburger films

In honor of the recent release of Martin Scorcese's documentary Made in England: The Films of Powell and Pressburgerwhich I saw recently at the cinema, I present my five favorite (so far) films from this legendary filmmaking team, counting down from #5 to my #1.

First, for those not familiar with Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, they were a director/writer team who flourished as independent British filmmakers in the mid-20th century with a wide-ranging filmography and consistent innovation. They hired the best actors and crews working at the time, and thanks to the efforts of Scorcese's Film Foundation, many of their films have been restored to their original brilliance. Many are on DVD and streaming platforms, and some can be seen in your local independent cinema.

Michael Powell (left) and Emeric Pressburger in consultation (image
from Criterion.com)

#5: The Red Shoes (1948)Arguably the best-known of Powell & Pressburger collaborations, it has it all: music, dance, high drama, art vs. life, life imitating art, incredible technicolor, and gorgeous settings. A bonus is the film debut of the luminous dancer Moira Shearer. Watch the original trailer here: 

#4: A Matter of Life and Death (1946): I recently had the opportunity to see this on the big screen, and it was a blast. I had seen it earlier on the small screen, but the black and white scenes in the bureaucratic afterlife were so stunningly rendered, which only really "popped" in the cinema. I also found Roger Livesey to be a complete delight in his secondary but critical role as the doctor who defends our hero. And Marius Goring, who was the serious composer in love with Moira Shearer in The Red Shoes, here is fantastic as a petulant French 18th-century angel who failed to transport David Niven to the hereafter. Spoiler: It has a feel-good ending. 

Residents of the afterlife are summoned to witness a trial.

Watch the trailer for the recent 4K restoration below.

#3: I Know Where I'm Going! (1945): This might be the most overtly romantic film in my list, with a love story unfolding against all odds. It's full of quirky characters, witty humor, and a forbidding Scottish highland coast, but the brilliance of leads Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey make this so much more than your typical romantic drama. Seeing a restoration of this one last November at the British Film Institute was a highlight of my trip to the UK. A trailer is below.

#2: The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943): Approaching this film, I asked, "Who is Colonel Blimp?" Turns out he was a famous cartoon character in England (created by cartoonist David Low) who represented a satirized "old-school" authoritarian British officer. The protagonist of the film is not named "Colonel Blimp" but was inspired by him. Yet as scripted by Pressburger and played by Roger Livesey, he is an imperfect but eminently likeable character who we accompany through 40+ years of his life and loves over the film's near 3-hour running time. Along the way we meet his one-time nemesis, and later friend, a German officer portrayed by Anton Walbrook, and three pivotal female characters all portrayed by Deborah Kerr. There could be so much said about this film, so I'll leave you with just two words: watch it.

Roger Livesey and Deborah Kerr in The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

At the end of the movie I may or may not have exclaimed it was the best movie I'd ever seen, a true masterpiece. In that, Scorcese would agree with me. And then came...

#1: A Canterbury Tale (1944): My love for this film came as a complete surprise, as I hadn't even heard of it before I watched it for my "50 Years of Film in 50 Weeks" blog series. I delighted in the quirkiness, the wartime realism blended with overtones of medieval mysticism, yearnings that are partially satisfied but others left to the future...all with the trademark breathtaking shots and humanistic themes that run through most of the Powell & Pressburger oeuvre. Read my blog post here for a deeper dive into the film, its production, and my reflections. I cannot argue with writer Xan Brooks, who confessed in an article in The Guardian, "A Canterbury Tale may be the most loving and tender film about England ever made." 

Sheila Sim and Eric Portman in A Canterbury Tale

Which is your favorite of the Powell and Pressburger films? Please leave a comment.

Postscript: After I watched the Scorcese documentary, I realized that I have yet to see most of Powell & Pressburger's later work. Here are films that intrigue me and that I plan to see soon:

  • The Tales of Hoffman (1951): The complete opera by Offenbach on cinema, with Moira Shearer appearing as the famous dancing doll, Olympia. Of course, the actual singing was dubbed in by opera singers.
  • Gone to Earth (1950): Scorcese had good things to say about this one, a co-production with David Selznick, especially Jennifer Jones' (Mrs. Selznick's) performance, but the film was not a commercial success.
  • Peeping Tom (1960): This horror film was Michael Powell without Pressburger, and it was so controversial and almost universally panned at the time that Powell's career was over. The film has since been reappraised and is seen as Powell's last masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment